Women and Heart Disease
The nation’s leading cause of death in women
Each year, heart disease claims over half a million American women. In fact, nearly twice as many women die of heart disease and stroke than from all forms of cancer combined. Women under age 50 who suffer heart attacks are twice as likely to die as men of the same age.
Statistics you can’t ignore
- 71 percent of Lake County women age 40 to 70 are at risk for a heart attack today.
- Only 27 percent of those women recognize their risk.
- The American Heart Association estimates that 1 in 2 women will die of heart disease or stroke, compared to 1 in 29 who will die of breast cancer.
- 9 million women in the U.S. of all ages suffer from heart disease.
- 1 in 10 U.S. women age 45 to 65 has some form of heart disease.
- 1 in 4 U.S. women 65 or older has some form of heart.
You want answers. We get it.
Lake Health is reaching out to women at risk with preventive information and treatment tailored to their needs. We are committed to increasing women’s awareness of heart disease and helping you recognize the risk factors and symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. With this information and a little effort on your part, you have the potential to add years to your life.