What is interventional radiology? Interventional Radiology (IR) is a medical specialty that uses X-ray guidance, such as CT, MRI and ultrasound, to perform minimally invasive procedures that are an alternative to conventional surgery. IR treatments minimize risk, require little to no incisions, reduce infection and result in less pain and recovery time.
Lake Health’s interventional radiologist treats patients with a variety of health conditions and works closely with the primary care physician/provider to ensure patients receive the best possible care. Here are a few of the minimally invasive techniques we perform:
- Kyphoplasty/Vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fractures
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) for pelvic pain and heavy bleeding
- Venous Embolization for varicose veins
- Biopsy (lung, liver, kidney, breast and bone cancers)
- Tumor Ablation/Cryoablation
- Vascular Access
- Mediport, PICC line and dialysis catheter insertion
- Abscess Drainage
- Thoracentesis to remove fluid build-up in the lung
- Paracentesis to remove fluid build-up in the belly
Interventional radiology is available at TriPoint Medical Center and West Medical Center. Vascular access therapy is available at West Medical Center and image-guided core breast biopsies are available at TriPoint Medical Center and the Mentor Campus.
Scheduling an Appointment
For scheduling information, call Centralized Scheduling at 1-866-652-5253.
Meet our Interventional Radiologists
Yuriy Babayev, MD
Dr. Babayev joined Lake Health in 2015. A board-certified radiologist, he earned his medical degree from SUNY Downstate College of medicine and completed his residency at Mount Sinai Beth Israel followed by a fellowship in vascular and interventional radiology at Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
Matthew Passalacqua, DO
Dr. Passalacqua joined Lake Health in 2016. A board-certified radiologist, he earned his medical degree from the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his residency at the Cleveland Clinic.