Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir with Lake Health Physician Group Bariatric Surgery Center is often asked, “Do I qualify for weight loss surgery?” Many of Dr. Ben-Meir’s patients consider weight loss surgery for a long time before committing to this courageous decision. To determine if you’re eligible for weight loss surgery, our team looks at a variety of factors:
- Are you over age 21?
- Do you have 50 pounds or more to lose?
- Do you have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or a BMI of 35 to 39 with obesity-related medical problems, such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or sleep apnea?
- Are you experiencing a life-threatening condition or face a low quality of life because of your weight?
- Have you repeatedly tried other methods of losing weight without success?
- Are you healthy enough to undergo this surgery?
- Are you willing to make the lifestyle changes needed for lasting success?
Our team works closely with individuals who meet these criteria and helps them understand the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery. At the Lake Health Bariatric Surgery Center, we tailor our approach to fit your personal needs and goals.
Why should I consider weight loss surgery?
Obesity is harmful to your health and can prevent you from living the life you want. When you lose excess weight, you may improve or reduce health issues such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea and respiratory problems, type 2 diabetes and others. Beyond the health benefits, many patients regain the ability to be an active participant in life – not a bystander.
Weight loss surgery changes lives. Hear more from real patients who have had surgery at the Lake Health Bariatric Surgery Center.