As we approach the end of 2021, the Lake Health Physician Group Bariatric Surgery Center team knows this time of year can be challenging and we encourage you to make your own physical and mental well-being a top priority. Holidays can be tough, as temptations seem to be everywhere. From festive gatherings to endless treats, maintaining healthy habits can be difficult. The good news is, it is very possible to maintain healthy lifestyle habits all year round in order to reach or maintain your goals!
Enjoy your holiday season in moderation while also staying physically and mentally healthy by following these tips and tricks:
- Avoid having an “all or nothing” mindset. If you want to enjoy a favorite treat during the holidays, keep the portion small and do not indulge the entire season.
- Maintain a regular eating schedule of three high-protein meals (20 grams or more each meal) per day with no grazing. This will help you stay satisfied throughout the day. Skipping meals leads to extreme hunger which can promote snacking or overeating later in the day.
- Keep trigger foods out of the house. You know yourself the best. For example, if having sweets in the house is too tempting and you find yourself struggling to stay away from them, it is best to keep them out of the house. This also goes for leftovers and foods you prepare as gifts such as baked goods.
- Plan and prepare in advance when attending a party or social gathering. Try bringing a healthy, nutritious dish or eating a small healthy meal before you go. Be aware of what foods will be available. Prioritize what you want to enjoy and portion out. Always enjoy a lean source of protein first.
- Watch portion size. Using smaller plates can help with portion control as can eating slowly and chewing well. Be sure to take your time and enjoy your food.
- Stay hydrated with non-calorie beverages. Avoid liquid calories and overindulging in alcohol.
- Stay active during the holiday season! Be sure to get in 150 minutes or more per week of planned exercise. This can help to prevent unwanted weight gain.
- Plan how you will handle attention to your weight loss or food choices.
- Make yourself a priority. Take time to relax and recharge by engaging in favorite activities.
Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir and the Lake Health Physician Group Bariatric Surgery Center team believe in and are committed to your success. Our team is here every step of the way, offering support as you adjust to your new lifestyle.
For questions about bariatric surgery options or support after your surgery, please reach out to our office at 440-602-6737.