Our Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Lake West Medical Center provides a variety of cardiovascular procedures to diagnose and treat heart conditions. Our team of cardiovascular experts performs diagnostic procedures to assess artery blockages in your heart, including cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology studies. They also perform innovative procedures to help restore the pathways to the heart by opening clogged arteries, improving blood flow to the heart muscle and decreasing the damage from a heart attack. These treatments can include balloon angioplasty and stents.
If your doctor recommends a cardiac catheterization procedure, your doctor’s office will help you schedule an appointment. A catheterization takes about 20 to 30 minutes. If it’s necessary to follow the catheterization with an intervention procedure (angioplasty or stent insertion), that procedure could take an additional 30 to 60 minutes and will require an overnight stay to monitor you.
Follow these tips to prepare for a cardiac catheterization procedure:
- Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue taking your medications as usual. Consult with your doctor ahead of time if you have diabetes, as there will be special steps you need to take. Tell our staff if you have any medication allergies.
- Talk with your doctor about any questions you have and share any concerns you may have.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after your procedure, and arrange for someone to stay with you overnight after your test if possible.
- Don’t eat or drink anything after midnight except for small sips of water if needed to take your medication.