Preparing for Your CT Scan
During your CT scan, you’ll lay on a table that moves slowly into a large donut-shaped scanner. You’ll be asked to lie still for short periods while each image is scanned. You may be given an IV with contrast dye, and you may be asked to drink a special drink with contrast if you’re having an abdominal scan. You can hear and talk to your technologist throughout the entire exam.
Follow these tips for a successful scan:
- If you’ve had an allergic reaction to contrast dye in the past, please let your physician know well in advance.
- Don’t eat for four hours before the exam.
- Take your usual medications unless directed otherwise.
- Please bring a complete list of your medications, vitamins and supplements to your appointment.
- Please register 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment and bring the physician order to your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Tell your physician and technologist if you are or may be pregnant.