It’s common for men to delay visiting the doctor until they have an injury or serious illness. Not seeing a physician regularly and leaving medical conditions untreated can make recovery more difficult.
Our physicians offer a comprehensive approach to men’s health care with a focus on preventive care and helping you stay well. In addition to primary care, our doctors have expertise caring for health issues such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, urology and sexual health.
Why get an annual physical exam?
An annual physical exam is an important way to develop a relationship with your primary care physician and to stay on top of your overall health. Checking on your weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels is essential to staying healthy. Even if you feel healthy, a yearly check-up can help screen for medical issues that don’t have symptoms.
In addition to a yearly visit with your primary care provider, here are some general considerations on when to start screenings*:
- Age 18 : Begin screening for high blood pressure and depression
- Age 35: Begin screening for high cholesterol
- Age 40: Begin the conversation with your provider about prostate cancer screening
- Age 45: Begin screening for diabetes
- Age 45 to 50: Begin colorectal cancer screenings
- Age 55: Begin low-dose CT scans for lung cancer, if you have a certain history of smoking
- Age 65: Begin screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm if you have a history of smoking
*Your doctor may recommend you begin screenings earlier based on your family history or lifestyle risk factors.