Childbirth and Childcare Classes
At UH Lake West Medical Center and UH TriPont Medical Center, we deliver more than 1,600 babies each year. We have the knowledge to help you prepare for childbirth and caring for your new baby through childbirth and parent education classes.
Choose from a range of programs depending on your needs. Register for classes by your fifth month of pregnancy to get your first choice of date and location and to complete the series before your due date. Class sizes are limited.
All childbirth classes include a tour of the Family Birthing Center at TriPoint Medical Center or Lake West Medical Center.
Childbirth Preparation Class
These classes help prepare you for labor and the birth of your baby. Topics include:
- What to expect during the birth process
- Relaxation techniques and breathing patterns
- Natural vs cesarean birth
- Pain management options
- Ways your labor partner can help you.
Class options include:
- Three-week session held in the evening
- One-day weekend class.
Plan to register early so that you can complete the class three to four weeks before your due date.
Infant Care Class
In this class, you will learn the newest techniques and science-backed trends for making your home a safe place for your new baby. Topics of basic infant care include:
- Car seat safety
- Signs of illness and when to call the doctor.
You’ll receive hands-on practice using dolls to prepare for your new baby.
- Two-week class, with two sessions held in the evening (two and a half hours each)
- One four-hour Saturday session.
Childbirth Preparation for Teens
This one-day class will cover childbirth preparation, including labor and delivery, as well as infant care.
OB Tour and Hospital Orientation
The OB Tour and Hospital Orientation gives you and your partner an opportunity to see first-hand where your baby will be born. It includes:
- A tour of the Family Birthing Center
- Early start on paperwork and registration for admitting
- A great time to get answers to questions you and your partner have.
The tour is free, but you need to register as space is limited. If you are unable to attend a scheduled tour, we can make special arrangements for you.
Help prepare your child or children for the changes a new baby will create in your family. This one-time session is for siblings between ages 3 and 8. Children will learn:
- How babies grow and develop before they are born
- How babies look and act after birth
- How and what babies eat
- What babies need and how siblings can help.
A tour of the Family Birthing Center will show children where mom and the new baby will be. Children should bring a doll or stuffed animal to class. You’ll also receive helpful information on sibling adjustment.
Infant and Child CPR
Knowing how to handle an emergency is important for parents. This three-hour session teaches you techniques appropriate to use on infants and children up to age 8:
- Basic rescue techniques of CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- How to clear an obstructed airway of a choking baby or child
- Rescue breathing with hands-on practice.
This class is also great for older siblings, grandparents and baby sitters to gain confidence in life-saving techniques.
If you plan to breastfeed or are still deciding, this class provides helpful information on the benefits of breastfeeding and practical feeding techniques.
- Breast care and preparation for nursing
- Nursing techniques and positions
- What to expect after you’ve gone home
- How your baby’s father can help
- Tips for returning to work or school
- How to pump and store breast milk
- Where to get help if you face challenges with breastfeeding.
This class is one 3-hour session.
Breastfeeding Support Group
Bring your baby to meet with other moms and a certified lactation consultant to talk about breastfeeding concerns and issues. This is a free group; no registration required.
Other Resources for Moms
We can also help you with other needs, such as breast pump rentals, and if you have special financial needs, our resources throughout the community can help steer you toward appropriate programs. Call TriPoint Medical Center or Lake West Medical Center and ask for the Family Birthing Center.
Lake West Family Birthing Center
UH Lake West Medical Center
36000 Euclid Avenue, 5th Floor
Willoughby, OH 44094
TriPoint Family Birthing Center
TriPoint Medical Center
7590 Auburn Road
Concord Township, OH 44077